Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Charlieno

I never intended to be a parent that always says No. Rarely yes. I try to remember to say yes.  But most of the time around our house it is "CHARLIE NO!" that you hear.  I'll often answer the phone with "Charlie NO!" due to the inevitability that when the phone rings he thinks it is time to rip books, or flip over the back of the couch or whack his brother in the head with a train.  He doesn't talk and I think that is part of our frustration.  He is frustrated that he can't communicate what he wants/needs and I get so tired of charades and guessing.

Maybe it's our fault for nicknaming him Menace.  But it seemed to fit and he's grown even more into it now.  Don't get me wrong here, I love my kid. DEARLY.  And the thought that he is likely the last baby in our house saddens my heart so I try to hold on to the little bit of babyhood/toddlerhood before full blown boyhood.  He's so sweet. Always wanting to give hugs and kisses and ugga-muggas.  He loves to play with the trains (when his brothers let him).  Loves to read (which warms my heart).  Loves to snuggle. *sigh* I know it won't last.

But I'm not so sure I'm going to survive this phase.  I hope it's a phase.  I hope we have language soon, perhaps something more than Charlie No!  I'm pretty sure when he goes to write his name in Kindergarten he's going to tell his teacher his name is Charlieno.

That is, IF we make it to 5.  I know it's a blink of an eye.  "The days are long but the years are short." No kidding.

Till then- please forgive me if you hear "Charlieno" instead of "Hello?" when I answer the phone.


3 comments:

  1. It is a phase. He will talk. He will be 5. Then he will become a young man who amazes you and bears no resemblance to the Menace. He will remember nothing from the toddler years. You will reread this years from now and laugh. Then cry. From a place of deep love. Just as I am doing at this very moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, something for me to look forward to. And if it makes you feel any better, my little sister started kindergarten and wrote "Abbigeek" on her paper for her name. Her real name is Abigail. There was a call to mom and dad. :) Good luck my friend. May the patience fairy visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found with Amanda I was not ever talking to her. I started focusing on talking to her more and she started talking in leaps and bounds. Of course Disneyland helped. But she got a lot of adult interaction for that week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete