Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Currrently:

Just a quick update:
We had a marvelous vacation to California where we spent almost as much time in the car as not.  My kids aren't really letting that one go anytime soon. New cousins to play with.  Great memories made.  I'll write more another day.  But for now it is enough to know that I am immensely grateful for my family, the one we made and the ones we come from.  They're pretty great people.

My baby sister is getting ready to go on a Mission.  Lots of excitement there! I'm loading up on stamps so I can send snail mail.  I'm sure I'll look forward to whatever day is email day like when little brother was in Germany on his Mission.  But snail mail still has trump power.  So be ready seester.

First born headed to ALL DAY first grade this year. The bottom of the totem pole (because kindergartners are basically segregated from the rest of the school)- the real beginning of mommy growing up.  ALL DAY. I'm nervous. WAAAAAY more nervous than I was sending him to 3 hour kindergarten last year.  Gone all day. For 6 years that's all I've done is be his mommy all day.  Last year we had a mild separation with 3 hours for kindergarten.  That was just enough time to get maybe one errand done.  Then it would be time to meet him and make lunch and the rest of our day.  But now- I won't see him until 2:50 every day. And I have to pack a lunch for him. I dread packing a lunch.  Hopefully I can find a way to make it less painful for both of us.  The worry (despite how useful it is) is starting to build.

Second born will be in preschool again this year. Afternoon this time. We're all looking forward to it- not because we're needing the break (as desperately as sometimes) but because he truly enjoys it.  I'm glad my kids like school (in whatever form).  I hope that sticks.

Wee #3 is living up to his nickname, Menace.  He's almost 2 going on 12.  Moody and FIERCELY independent.  He wants to do everything HIMSELF! Buckle things, open water bottles, dress, color, everything.  It's exciting to see this step and frustrating for both of us.

Food in our house either disappears in seconds (if they like it) or sits in the fridge until Mommy or Daddy eats it for lunch.  Ian is on a growth spurt. Landon just wants to play, not eat, which is weird for him. And "Chuck" grazes whenever he can.  Which is yet another great motivation to get out of debt.  There's no way we can afford to feed them as teenagers unless we free up cash. We're doing well on that front. One step at a time.  One student loan gone.  A few more and a credit card to go (credit card is next).  We can do this.

I hope.


I forgot to update on Sean and me.  This weekend Sean hits the big THREE-OH.  I'm kind of excited.  I think 30 is a cool milestone (and I might be the only one).  It's right in the thick of living.  The midst of crazy.  (though 40 will be when the kids are in middle/high school and even more insane).  But other than the clock moving forward, as it always does, he's crazy busy at work.  They're down a guy and the 3 left are working to pick up the slack until someone else can get hired.  Which means he works from 7-5:30 every day. (It was more like 6pm yesterday).  There are weekends already scheduled.  Now on my end- it's not much different because he'd leave at 7 and get home at 5:30 but had a 45 minute commute both ways.  Now those extra 90 minutes are spent working here in town.  We do get to see him for lunch which is nice.  And then on call 24/7. So grateful he has a good job that he enjoys. These times are just hard on everyone when you're understaffed.  So he's a little more stressed and worn out when he comes home.

I'm working working working.  I'm itching to do some painting before the nasty weather sets in.  We're getting the front trees trimmed in about a month and I'm excited.  It will help with my stress that these trees have been neglected- I don't want them dropping limbs on our house or cars. Now we have to address the ants.  We have ants EVERYWHERE and come to find out- if they're nesting in the tree roots they can kill the tree.  Which is likely that they are nesting there. It's always a battle.  Our garden is very lush and green but I don't think I pruned it enough because we don't have a lot of veggies.  Some. Just not a lot. But most of it is still alive and I call that a win! I got a new sewing table.  It is HUGE and perfect for all sorts of crafts.  I think it needs some personal touches (read paint and modpodge) and soon.  Our house is coming together. Slowly.  But it is.  And that is very satisfying.

So there you have it.

Not so quick.

Not so little.

But an update.

Catch ya on the flip side.

PS- why can't netflix get Fresh Prince of Bel Air on streaming??  I'd like to see some more of THAT and less of Family Guy or whatever.

3 comments:

  1. 1. Lunch will be the death of me.

    2. Cry on my shoulder if you need to. I did NOT handle the start of 1st grade as eloquently as I'd hoped...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend had ants EVERYWHERE and I do mean EVERYWHERE if you dropped a crumb in her house a thousand ants would come marching. She tried this to get rid of them http://www.food.com/recipe/get-rid-of-ants-ants-ants-203233 and it worked! The ants drink up the stuff and take it back to their nest and it kills off all their buddies. It's worth a shot!

    Tell your sista congratulations on the mission. That's super exciting! And 1st grade. Yikes! I'm so afraid to send my little miss McKinley to kindergarten for some reason so I can't even think about 1st grade. Annnnnd last but not least packing lunch will be the death of me too! I can't even get dinner made at a decent hour. For example, right now. It is almost 8:00 and dinner is no where in sight. I don't even have a clue what I'm making. I just know Matt won't be home until about 9:00 which means I will manage to get something together by about 9:01. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snail mail is the best! And since the missionaries can only check their email on p-days it's doubly awesome to get something in the mail.

    I used oatmeal for our ants. Apparently they eat it and it expands in their stomach and kills them. Mean right!? But pretty effective. Of course we probably don't have as many as you do.

    And yay for a sewing table that's BIG! I love space to work in.

    ReplyDelete