Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Of holidays and homes

Walking home from taking the middle child to preschool I felt the need to blog.  Wee #3 is napping and I get to Click, Clack, Moo for a minute.  I gave up soda for Lent. Wouldn't be a big deal if I weren't so addicted to it (which is kind of the point).  So I'm going through withdraws;  though  my caffeine withdraws are over so now it's just the pining for forbidden not-so-fruits.  Occasionally I get grumpy.  Don't let Sean tell you that it happens to be more than "occasionally".  He's lying.  I wore my "Drink Dr. Pepper" shirt the other day because then *I* couldn't see the sign :) I'm a rebel.  Giving up something for Lent is not common among my religion but I think it is a good practice to go without for a time to grow in appreciation.  For many things in life not just soda. (Because we all know soda is so good for our bodies that going without it really shouldn't be a sacrifice--and yet the idea is to give our weak things to the Lord and He will make us strong....right?)

Which brings me back to our house.

"If you are willing to make the sacrifice it will be worth it."

Hm. Well. Our home is making progress.  We've had a busy couple of weeks.  Boxes to unpack (which I think takes about a full decade), children and self to clean up after, my sister-in-law's wedding to prepare for.  Though I don't have pictures for you of any of it.  My poor camera is stuck with it's lens out (how embarrassing!) because the battery is dead dead and I can't find the cord to charge it anywhere. Again, the joys of moving (though I often lose cords anyway).  So you're stuck with my meandering words for now.  (Hey, you're the one still reading....)  We (and by we I should clarify-mostly Sean) got the dining room light up AND running.  Doesn't sound like much unless you know how hard it is to figure out 3way or 4way (I don't remember which it is) switches.  Meaning the light can be turned on or off by any of three switches Back door, side door and by the french doors.  Tricky business.  Wires were re-pulled.  Brows were furrowed in frustration.  And then the epiphany came and lo and behold it worked!  YAY! (Thanks Babe!) So now for lights we just need to do the hallway sconces, pantry and laundry room and we should be good to go- oh and the front porch but we don't have a fixture for that yet.  Curtain rods are purchased and lying next to me waiting to be put up in the craft room.  I'll be sad to see the stapled sheets go but it's time.  My sewing machine and serger are now out and ready for use at any given moment. I'm in love with my sewing desk and I'm not ashamed of it.  I think it loves me back.  The craft room has a floor again- which is more than I can say for the living room.  I keep trying to get boxes OUT of there and I think they sense their demise because the boxes are breeding like rabbits (only when no one is looking thank goodness. I'm not ready for THAT discussion with the kids...) We have a phone again which is nice.  Oh and chain pulls for the fans- I'm kind of jazzed about them.  The dining room has a crystal one (which I had as a kid so it makes me all weird sentimental) and our room has ugly plain brown pulls which will perhaps get painted someday.

None of this was exciting to YOU but progress is exciting to us and I'm thrilled that each little thing that gets done is one more step behind us.

Hope you all had a lovely President's Day Weekend.


4 comments:

  1. I love hearing your ramblings! Reminds me of yesterday when all my chicks were around me and under my feet and now they have all disappeared. How could that happen soooo fast. Enjoy these beautiful memories. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maggie, you make me laugh! So witty! and yeah for progress even if there are no pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanging curtains?! You're such a grown-up. I can say with 100% honesty and like 50% shameful embarrassment that I have never hung curtains. When will I grow up?!

    Go YOU, giving up soda! I understand that is difficult. My mom and sisters are all hooked on Diet Coke and Dr. Pepper. I've heard there are withdrawal headaches and stuff. No fun. I kind of have to steer clear of my mom when she decides to quit caffeine every three months or so. She shoots fireballs out of her eyes.

    Funny that you gave something up for Lent. Good for you. I have far too many vices to choose from to make Lent happen. This year I gave up Catholicism. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love click, clack, moo! It makes me smile. (So do all her books) Thanks for your thought processes, they make me smile. Maybe because I see a little bit if how I think. Oh and progress is progress no matter how small and it makes all the difference, good luck with getting things unpacked and your home the way you want it.

    ReplyDelete