Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Paying Attention

Me: I love you

Boychild: I love you more.

Me: No, I love YOU more.

Boychild: No. I love *YOU* more.

Me: Dangit. You win.

Boychild: smiles and lays his head back down on the pillow.


"Goodnight, sleep tight. Don't let the bedbugs bite.  If they do take your shoe and beat them till they're orange and pink."
"No, Mom! It's Black and BLUE!"
"Oh sorry. Black and Blue."

Snug as a bug in a rug.
Snug as a train in his shed.
Snug as a boy in his bed.

Grandpa: See ya later Alligator.
Ian: How soon Baboon?
Grandpa: After while crocodile.

"Mom, if the Polar Express comes tonight I'll wake Landon up so he can come too."
"That's so nice of you to make sure he doesn't get left out."

Charlie now signs Please, More, Sorry (though that's only in context because he's actually signing Please again) and Finished/All gone.  Landon can count to 36.  At least he shocked Ms. Melissa when he randomly counted that high the other day.  Ian can read colors-he got the colors right on a color by number picture this morning.  I'm used to him asking what color number 3 is.  

But the most precious moments of my family's life are not the ones illuminated by birthday candles, Christmas lights, or amusement park rides, and they cannot be captured on film or tape. The moments I hold most dear are those that arise unbidden in the course of any day--small, evanescent, scarcely worth noticing except for the fact that I am being offered, just for a second, a glimpse into another's soul...This book is not about changing your life. It is about paying more attention to the life you already have. ~Katrina Kenison Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry


5 comments:

  1. Amazing what things are so easy to miss. It is so fun to watch them progress though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. LOVE! and now I'm going to have to read that book. :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a good book to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will always be glad you recorded these small precious bits. The joy they contain increases with time, but even now my heart gets squeezy and my eyes get leaky reading them. Love you guys more than words can say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last several pages of my planner are full of stuff like this. I love it.

    ReplyDelete