Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Belated

Re: A Serious Lack of Blogging

Dear SisterGirl,

     Yes. You are right.  I haven't blogged in a while.  Sorry.  I know I even promised pictures of our epic hike.  I didn't post them.  I have one of them.  See?  
(*Click on the pictures to make them bigger!)


Ok, it's not even really a picture that I took.  Thanks Google Earth.  Sean drew the red line to show roughly where we hiked.  An aerial view isn't quite as impressive as a landscape view. 
 (My apologies to those of you who are colorblind. Red in the first one now green....oh well) 

It was a wicked long hike.  6 miles maybe? Maybe 3?  I don't know.  What I DO know is we started at the top (see the ridgeline?) at roughly 7:30am.  Then proceeded DOWN a few thousand feet and a LOT of hours to Nizhoni Campground which Google tells me is 7000 feet.  If Abajo peak is 11+ thousand feet and Nizhoni Capground is 7000 feet..... 11-7= 4 right?  So I think it's safe to say the descent was at least 2500 feet, given we were NOT at Abajo Peak- but pretty dang high none the less.  

But here's the kicker.  We ALL hiked it.  Young and old, out of shape and fit, tired and well rested tired. In the end we were ALL exhausted and sore.  Ian and Landon even hiked it (minus the last little part from the last bend on the red line) We finished about 1:30pm I think (people correct me if I'm wrong.)  6 Hours.  Phew.  I won't be doing THAT again anytime soon.  But it is an excellent reminder of what we, as humans, are capable of.  



I may not have grown up here but my kids are and I like to think of Blue Mountain as home.  It is magnificent.  

10 minutes from our front door to the mountain.  Can't beat that.  Though next time I'll take ten paces to the west when I take the picture. 

So that was our Deer Season 2012.  We didn't get any venison to put in the freezer (except what was graciously given to my inlaws by friends).  Lots of hiking and many more memories.  

Good times.  

Great Oldies. 

Oldies 92.9

Until next time, 
Mags

5 comments:

  1. I approve. You guys are a whole group of pretty impressive human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is why you are a rockstar! Way to go! My muscles are hurting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed! How beautiful of a place to hike and being a good mommy gettin' those outside in the great outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you DON'T post on your blog often enough. :)

    Crazy LONG hike you hiked! I am envious of your outdoorsyness. Well done.

    Now a question... you know our mutual friend Tawny with the screwed up knee? I feel like I should do something for her, but WHAT? Any ideas? I feel for her.

    ReplyDelete