Thursday, September 6, 2012

State of the Union

My freshman year in high school our English teacher had us "circle the wagons" occasionally and give our own state of the union address.  How are we? How's life at home? School? Friends? Other. It was a time to be open and reach out.  What was said in the room stayed in the room- as much as it ever does in high school.  I don't know that there were monumental things discussed.  I really don't remember.  But I do remember the catharsis that came from our sharing and not being judged or advised how to move forward.  Just a statement of where we were in that moment in time.  Probably one of the best things I took from Mrs. Warren's class.  And an introduction to John Steinbeck.

So for today I'm feeling in a mood to have my own little State of the State (more local than state of the Union and not about my marriage) address.  To unload I suppose.  So how're things? Busy.  At times overwhelming.  My 3 year old, Landon is potty training.  Or really I'm potty training in that *I* have to remember to remind the kid every 30 minutes or so to go.  Luckily today there have been no accidents to report.  Meltdowns at my insistence that he goes, but no accidents. Next: My husband's boss got laid off two weeks ago and so he's been swamped.  Not too bad yet but we're waiting for the massive pile up of problems.  Sean didn't get promoted per se into the job that his boss had but his department did get somewhat restructured and he got a bit of a promotion in the process.  More responsibilities and not a lot of help until they hire another guy.  Then: He comes home and has to work on our house.  Which kind of feels like the never ending process.  Hard to see the light sometimes even though drywall is now going up.  I'd love to get everything painted before we move in because it's much easier without bodies and furniture to work around but that's not really in the budget (time or money).  So we'll just do one room at a time like we had originally planned.  Sometimes I really dread the mention of going over and working on the house because I don't actually get to do much of the construction due to my duties as mother.  Next item on the our State of the State address: Back to school can be an exciting time of year.  Sadly for me, I am reminded that I am no longer in school- yes, yes I know, I can learn anywhere.  More to MY point is that the school time of my life is on hold for the foreseeable future.  I don't get to be an intellectual for the time being.  I get to explain things to a 5/3/1 year old.  Then if I do have TIME to learn I really just want a nap.


Update: This post has been composed over two days.  Today is the beginning of day two.  To start off the morning #2 went #2 in his undies.  I might have come a bit unglued.  This if after #1 pours his own milk...all over the table and floor.  After I got the mess from #2 cleaned up numero uno threw a royal fit about wearing his Jammie shirt to school (which is not allowed).  He's started screeching and it was quite the scene just getting him into the car.  I only hope he calmed down before he got out (Daddy took him to school today) or we'll be getting a call from his teacher.   I wanted to lose weight in the next few weeks but when it rains it pours and I apparently don't handle that well.  Oh and did I mention Sean just got called as the Executive Secretary for our Bishop.  Then we're at the church party last night and he tells me that he was (somewhat suckered) into trying out for a play tonight? Yeah.  I laughed.  I honestly don't know if he's serious or not- I guess we'll see.

So to sum up the State of the State?  
Wake me up when September ends.

**Update** Given how the morning went I wanted to drive and get a Coke and then drive some more.  I decided instead to go for a bike ride.  3 miles. Hills. 50-some-odd pounds of squidlets in the trailer.  Not so mad anymore--just tired and still a bit frustrated.  

3 comments:

  1. Aw. You sound exhausted. :( They tell me this is normal when your kids are this age and that it DOES get easier when they're a little older. Not much comfort today, though. Wish I lived close enough to help. If there's anything I can do from a distance, let me know. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to get a window into your sweet life. I also had a blast from the past... how I remember those minutes... and they do seem like minutes now.
    One tip of advice for sanity's sake... bag the pottie training... you are right you are training YOU! Boys develop slower in that area... much easier to change a diaper than a whole outfit and the floor. They will train their self, just let it happen. If he wants to use the toilet he will tell you and you can pull down his diaper... You both will enjoy life soooo much more. HE WILL TRAIN HIMSELF. Trust me, I fought my first boy and trauma and rebellion reared its head. My other 2 trained themselves and all was PEACE. It's worth a few more diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey mags. sorry life is being a crazy. Sounds like you could use some yoga :)Call me if you ever wanna talk. and big hugs being a mom is really hard. Somedays its not :0

    ReplyDelete