Monday, January 9, 2012

Beware of the grooooove.

A few years back I learned an important lesson;
praying for patience will bring trouble just as surely as picnics bring out the ants. 

So since then I have been careful and chosen my words when praying.

Praying to be able to accept one's situation is apparently a lot like praying for patience.

Let me explain.

Five years ago Sean and I were out here for a family camping trip and it was Drill weekend. (Sean used to be in the National Guard.)  I was pregnant with Ian but decided to go camping without Sean anyway.  There was a lot of back and forth between the mountain and town as Sean decided to come up for a night but had to return to drill early the next morning.  Long story short (too late!) we camped, had a grand time and we were all ready for a little space by the time it was time to head home.  So when the camping adventure was over- we got back to my inlaw's and packed up snacks and headed back on the road to Cedar City.  I was tired and hungry and pregnant and really just mostly tired.  Before heading out we prayed as we usually try to do before long trips.  And given the long day we were both getting a bit snippy and prayed for patience.  I  was just about to fall asleep when I heard a weird noise and Sean was hurriedly pulling over to the side of the road.  Dazed and confused and starting to panic I asked what was wrong.  We blew a tire. Just past the Monticello airport. 20 minutes away from our starting point.  I stood at the side of the road holding back tears and failing miserably at that.  A guy driving by stopped to help us- which was lovely because we needed an axe to whack the old flat tire off to get the spare on.  My sister in law and her husband drove out to rescue us and we limped back to town.  We ended up staying an extra two days to get new tires and then head home.  I have tried hard not to pray for patience since then for fear that I won't be able to handle what's comin' down the pipe.  

Jump forward to this past weekend.  It was fast Sunday and we felt prompted to fast to be able to accept our situation- whatever that may be.  I was a bit hesitant about doing so but moved forward faithfully.  Then this morning I get a call about 8:15am.  Bad news.  Nena broke down.  Ten miles outside of the town Sean works in.  She just got fixed- drove the commute to work and back for 4 days- no problems.  Until today.  so it could be a head gasket (very bad) or a popped hose (less bad) or something else entirely.  The silver lining in all of this is that we had another vehicle so i could rescue him and that he had cell service because out here it's hit and miss (mostly miss). So we'll see what the diagnosis is soon (hopefully) and then make our decisions based on that.

In the meantime I feel like the emperor's groove has been thrown off.  So beware.  
Beware of the grooooove.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. Patience, acceptance, car troubles. It's discouraging, but there's the old saying about you can't have car trouble without a car. And you have two! I have a feeling the emperor will get his grove back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I pray for only two things: food and money. There are no loopholes when you pray for money. Praying for patience? Rookie mistake. ;)

    I'm sorry about your car. That's crappy. Maybe next time fast for the well-being of your automobiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Maggie! So sorry about the car! Hope it gets fixed soon and that it's just something little. But if not... a great sense of humor goes a long ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your car. I have the same thoughts as you. I always choose my words carefully when praying as well cause I'm afraid of how they may be answered! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, here is where we find out it wasn't so bad. Ends up a hose popped of (I didn't have the clamp on right), allowing the coolant to all leak out. Test of patience, which helped us turn to the Lord for another decision we are currently making, with an easy fix in the end. Although "end" is a very fluid concept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end."

    ReplyDelete