Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Maggie's Mad Skillz

I'll have to get pictures at some point to prove my awesomeness.  Until then...

What is so awesome? you ask.

My thrifting skills of course.

Last winter I found Sean a London Fog Leather Jacket at a thrift store.  We went looking for something else but it caught my eye and so I made him try it on...yes I twisted his arm.  Didn't take much twisting after that when it looked so good on him (and was yummy warm to boot) to get him to say yes to buying it. $12. For a jacket purchased new around $100.  Granted this wasn't new anymore but still in excellent condition.

Well- now fast forward to last week.  We were getting ready for a trip to Logan.  Looked everywhere for Sean's leather jacket.  Decided it got left at work (45 minutes away not worth driving to get).  So we took a sweatshirt for him and thought we'd try the thrift stores while we were up there for a backup winter coat that can get a little more beat up-one that can go sledding and get firewood and all that without me stressing.  Lo and behold my thrifting skills saved us again! Walk into the first thrift store, head to the men's jackets and hanging before me is a lovely blue and white Helix ski jacket.  $10. Saved almost a hundred bucks again.

That is hands down the hardest thing for me around this small town.  There are NO second hand stores.  At all! Kills me smalls.  There is ONE in Monticello which is the next town over and I will see what it has to offer soon but I have yet to be in town when it's open.  So someday I'd like to open up my OWN thrift store here in town.  Or at least fully support whoever else opens one first.  I also like the idea of connecting it with the Women's Shelter and offering jobs or at least clothes to those who really need them- not just those of us who get a kick out of a killer deal.  Someday.

6 comments:

  1. Nice job! I LOVE those kinds of finds. And I'm all for you opening a thrift store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrifting is a skill that will serve you well all your life, and it will always be thrilling to get an amazing deal. I speak from experience. It's fun to think of clever names for your future store: Twice As Nice, New to You, Second Time Around, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Sister! Glad you could get a little thrifting in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have recently rediscovered my love of thrift shopping! I think it mostly had to do with the price of maternity cloths purchased new... ouch! But oh what great times and great finds in the thrift store! - Lora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, I am now a thrifting addict. I have to make myself not go every Thursday to the Catholic Thrift Store. Yesterday I couldn't hold back and I went and got 3 shirts, fabric, a nativity scene, a book, and a frame for $4.25! Woot woot! Love that place. They have crazy cheap stuff. They also have a lot of crazies in that store though. I wish you were here. We could feed each others addiction and go together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it would be an excellent idea for you to help grow such a business in your community. I would encourage you to keep considering it and look at it from all angles of pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete