Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thursday

I feel like I need a new post so it doesn't look like I have "poo" in the title anymore...

Thoughts for today:
My sister in law posted a link to THIS article on Facebook.  French Vegan parents who are possibly going to be charged because their 11 month old, solely fed on breastmilk (remember mom is Vegan) died and was found to have mineral deficiencies likely related to the mother's diet.  At 9 months old doctors advised the parents to take the child to a hospital and they chose to treat the baby at home with other remedies.  Then the baby died.

Also recently was THIS article on Parker Jensen and his family.  Parker Jensen had cancer on his tongue when he was 12 (2003) and the doctor's believed it would spread and be fatal.  They recommended chemotherapy. The family left Utah in order to protect their son from child and family services forcing him into chemotherapy.  Parker didn't die.  He is currently alive and well and loves to snowboard.

Which leads me to wonder: At what point does the state have a right or obligation to step in and take over for the parents?  I agree there are parents who are often detrimental to their children's health and well being.  I worked with a number of these kids in a middle school I worked at.  That being said- don't parents have a right to do what they feel is in the best interest of their children?

Touchy subject. A lot of grey area.

Just food for thought.  Like Oreos.... not always the best food of choice... but nummy.


In other news: It's snowing and my feverish 3 year old couldn't be more excited.

4 comments:

  1. Like you, I think it's a HUGE grey area. I think intent plays so much into it. I don't think it should be a hard and fast across the board rule, but...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, huge grey area. Diet and nutrition vs disease vs parents choice vs what's best for child... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well and with the baby he may have just had issues absorbing stuff ya never know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly the thing: you never know SO MUCH of the situation. There are often many sides to each decision in life not just to be or not to be. Do I, don't I. It does make me grateful that I don't have to be the judge in heaven and figure out where everything stands on a moral standpoint. Very grateful indeed.

    ReplyDelete