Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Money Update:

Money Update:




Today I paid the last of our medical bills.


Phew.


What a blessing and relief it is to not have that hanging over our heads.


Medical Bills you ask?  Well back in December Sean went to the ER with chest pains.  Life was crazy at the time.  Sean's former platoon Sargent was killed in Afghanistan, we were in limbo with a lot of decisions and the holidays kind of stressed us all out. He's had these pains before but never this bad.  Ran a gagillion tests.  Nothing.  They ruled OUT a heart attack but we still don't know what it was- other than a smidge of a financial crisis.  You see we are part of the population that doesn't have health insurance (don't judge).  We make too much for Sean to qualify for Medicaid and too little to afford much else.  (Though in the near future we will be shopping around.) So one trip to the ER left us with a hefty $4500 bill. (Or really a bunch of little bills totaling that amount.) Seeing as we live paycheck to paycheck and wing and a prayer while still in school this came as quite the blow.  Luckily we were blessed to have the hospital write off most of their portion and the ambulance company settled for a lower amount in cash. Those were the biggest two.  We did end up paying some but were able to "save" about $3000 in the end.  Blessings I tell you, blessings.


We actually have Baby Step #1 accomplished due to tax refunds.  (Emergency fund)


We'll be working on Baby Step #2 when Sean finds employment in Blanding.  (Debt Snowball) Until then we'll just pinch our pennies and count our blessings. Oh yeah, and continue to make payments on our current debt (Student Loans).


I'm actually looking forward to paying off our debt.  I know that's kind of a no-brainer but I'm excited to see how fast we can manage it.  Granted with a third kid on the way and a car that is hanging on by a thread (we love you Nena!) we'll see how it all works out.


I'll keep you posted.  Though it is kind of hard and strange to talk about money when we don't have it and are working hard to remedy that.  I do feel like all the stupid little mistakes I make are going to be scrutinized---but it is what it is and I yam what I yam. Finances were not talked about much when I was growing up (other than we just don't have money for that.).   I am learning though that most things in life are better when I just buck up and be honest about it.  So there it is folks.

5 comments:

  1. After having a husband in school off and on for the last 15 years of our marriage and with 4 kids and lots of medical bills for all sorts of things, my advice to you is keep doing what you are doing. Pay down your debt as fast as you can and live within your means. We have never got completely out of debt yet, but we are finally on our way... I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the way I see it is that we are going to make it rich off EV conversions shortly after I get out of school, so we just have to hang on 'til then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you. Keep doing all the good things you are doing! And if you get rich from Sean's EV conversion business, NO ONE will be prouder and happier than me. Love you guys BIG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job on doing dave ramsey! I love it. struggle with the whole gazelle intensity though....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love talking money. Paying off debt is exciting. But I'm nuts, so...

    And yay! Love when bills leave. I've never read Ramsey (we're David Bach fans), but I know a lot of people who love him.

    ReplyDelete