Monday, February 28, 2011

Finances

Money: 


When you don't have it- you hate it.  When you do.... well... I'll let you know.  

Everyone struggles with money.  At least everyone I've ever met.  There are a few people who are wise with their monies and it *seems* to come naturally.  Then again, I'm not in that head of theirs and don't know if it really is as easy as it seems.  

We have debt. 

Who doesn't? 

We won't. Some day. Hopefully before we're dead :)

I got Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Book in the mail today.  Thought I'd share with you some of the stuff I underlined.  (Quotes from Dave Ramsey unless otherwise noted.)

Aristotle--"To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, and be nothing."
"Don't take financial advise from broke people." ((My own thoughts on this: there are those I know and love and trust that are working on getting OUT of debt.... thus I consider their advice helpful despite the fact that on paper they may still be "broke".))
Dave Ramsey's Pastor-- "A man with an experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion."  ((Think about that one for a minute.  I think it's right up there with "Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth." from Mary Schmich's "Wear Sunscreen"... but that's a post for another day.))
"Just because you see a turkey flying in a tornado doesn't mean turkeys can fly."  ((I have seen many turkeys fly and am reluctant to get over it.))

"Overspending that doesn't feel like overspending because things are going well is still overspending." ((Ouch.))
"As lost as a ball in tall weeds!"
(Totally had one of these banks as a kid. I loved it.)
"I had too much debt, too little savings, and no sense of control over my life." ((THIS is precisely why I can identify with him.  We're there.))

"I was tired of sitting down to "do the bills" and having a heaviness come over me." ((Amen. Perhaps because tomorrow is the first of the month and the first mass exodus of money for the month will take place.))

"IF YOU WILL LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE, LATER YOU CAN LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE."

"You can repeat the motto to yourself as you pass up a purchase in order to hit your goals."

Mark and Kari Stolworthy--testimonial--"We pay cash for everything and we tell our money where to go." ((Right now the bills tell me where the money goes.))

So there you have it. First Chapter. 

Last picture courtesy of life as mom.

Feeling daring?  Share your favorite money advice. 

11 comments:

  1. My money advice: never buy impulsively. Sleep on it and see how you feel in the morning... maybe even a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my money advice: pay off your bills, but remember to spend some of your money on frivolous things, otherwise you never feel rewarded. also, if a bill comes along that sets you further back again, remember how much you have already accomplished. it really does keep you from losing hope. (personal example)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love talking about money. We're such savers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. my money advice all comes from that book. I love that book!! oh i do have one pay your tithing first. i find even if its just the first thing i write down in the book everything else is a little easier and i waste less. and when i pay other bills then tithing i always blow more....just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any money advice...because all of the things you said are spot on with how my money goes.
    "Overspending that doesn't feel like overspending because things are going well is still overspending"
    I was practically hanging my head in shame at that one!
    I need to check out this book! I would really like to get our finances in order also so we can move towards having another baby!
    Good luck with it all! Keep us posted on how the book is helping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First things first -- Pay your tithing no matter what!

    I think it's very wise to avoid impulse buys as well.

    However, I totally disagree with buying something frivolous every once in awhile or you'll never feel rewarded (sorry). It's just not true. We have lived on such a tight budget the last 3 years... and I have never felt more rewarded and satisfied in my life. Nothing makes you feel better than peace of mind. Nothing.

    Set goals. Hard goals. Even an extra $20 here and there towards your debt is still making a difference. I am amazed at how little we can really live on if we try. Saving money has become a sort of game for me. (Thank goodness!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Dave Ramsey. We don't pay for everything in cash like he says but we also don't use credit cards except for online purchases that we then pay off immediately and we keep track of how much we are spending to the penny(love online banking for this reason). We've put ourselves on a budget and I almost feel like I am making money because of it. It's a good feeling knowing I passed up on the ice cream I was craving in order to stick to my budget (I think my hips thank me for it as well) :o).

    The first month we budgeted everything out for food I guessed WAY too low on how much we should spend for the month on groceries but we still stuck to it even though we only had $14 left in the budget (not the bank) for two weeks worth of eating. We had some interesting meals for those 2 weeks. Thank heavens for food storage!

    I must say it has helped me to include a budget for fun things as well but it should be written down in the budget. I don't think I would stay sane without a small (and I mean small) crafting budget. For this budget I do use cash so that once it's gone it's gone and I can't give into impulse buys or buy something simply because it's a "good deal" or because I really, really want it.

    I agree that saving money has become almost a game to see how much debt we can pay down. I love the quote, "If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else." I can't wait for the day to be "weird" as he calls it. Good luck to you on your Dave Ramsey journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE Dave Ramsey. His show totally makes me feel guilty sometimes, but more in a "I should do this..." way.

    I'm definitely NOT a budgeting expert at all. But, something that helps me is when I want something, I have a little motto. I remind myself that there will ALWAYS be SOMETHING I want. It helps me talk myself out of that, "I have to buy this now because I may never find it again and it's such a good price." I'm sure there will always be a day when I can walk into the mall and find something I'd like.

    I like Lora's advice to sleep on it too. Funny, there are some shoes I've wanted for like 2ish years. But...they're expensive. So I haven't splurged. I finally did (my husband basically made me...he said I "deserved" them, but he probably meant he was tired of hearing about them!). Just ordered them about 10 minutes ago...in fact, it's probably a good thing I didn't read this post first... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooooooh. Katie. Now I want to know about these shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maggie,

    Thankfully Jordan graduated from USU in Family Finance so we do not struggle like most people. But I thought I would share the most valuable thing I feel we have learned from Jordan's Education. Budget for money for yourself! Every payday Jordan and I give ourselves a specific amount of money that is just ours. So I usually spend mine on something I want to eat. Or I just save it up for something I want later. By having this money I think helps you feel like you can have somethings you want.
    Good Luck!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everybody.
    Kim- I like the money for yourself thing- especially since stay at home moms don't get paychecks.

    Tithing- check.

    Sleep on it- check- well I try on the big things- will try on the littler too.

    Great advice everyone. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete