Monday, January 31, 2011

Did you ever really USE the crayon sharpener on the back of the box?

Remember when Mr. Rogers went to the crayon factory? I LOVED seeing the crayons and could almost smell the waxy newness of them.
My kids are BRUTAL on crayons.  No point in buying new ones- they'll just end up busted 5 minutes after opening the box. Stepped on. Snapped in hand. Tips broken off.  Normal kid stuff. 
So I tried kid-proofing the crayons by melting them together. We'll see how it works after naptime.  At least it's something novel. 

(FYI the "washable" crayons will end up giving you a clear coat that rises to the top-- sort those out if you can.  I didn't but I doubt the kids will notice they don't color as well as they used to)

Step 1: Sort crayons by color. You want to do this before you peel the paper off because many of them don't look like the color they are when they're naked.
Step 2:  Peel all your broken crayons.  Hire the kids to help. Mine didn't help much until I figured out cutting the paper with a razor blade FIRST helped the unwrapping process.
Step 3: Put crayons in cupcake tin.  I used 2 disposable ones because I didn't want to gunk up my good ones.  Even if you use the liners- they can leak through. 
Step 4: Oven 350*--- but what? Mine is at 325... no it's not. Our oven is challenged and runs a bit too hot around the collar.  So I tweaked it. 
Step 5: Melt away. About 10 minutes or so until it was liquid. 

Step 6: Put cupcake tin in freezer for an hour. OR if your freezer looks anything like mine there is no room for a full cookie sheet of hot wax. So I put mine on the washing machine for a while to cool off.  (Out of reach of the kiddos AND in the basement where it's colder)
Step 7: Pop them out. Rub off rough edges. Color away.  

Ta-DA!

9 comments:

  1. That's awesome honey. They look way sturdier and I think the boys will enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are the cleverest Mama ever! Crafty and beautiful. I'll be watching for art by the GrandBoys...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is seriously the coolest thing I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naked Crayons...Hahaha. That totally gave me images!!!!
    I love your "new crayons" What a great idea. Wish I had a reason to steal it! Coop is a peeler not a breaker and Jack just eats them, plus I am lazy.
    but you go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THOSE ARE AWESOME!!! okay so when I read your title post i could totally hear you saying that!!! haa haa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That just seems like a smart shape for crayons to be with little ones. I'm definitely putting this info away for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to make those! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awsome! I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete