Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Be Humble Dangit!

We don’t discover humility by thinking less of ourselves; 
we discover humility by thinking less about ourselves. 
-Dieter F. Uchdorf
 from a talk found HERE

Do I really need to be hit over the head with a brick?  I've been ruminating on this thought (the quote not the brick). I've always struggled with depression and self-esteem.  This makes sense to me. 
Often we are taught that pride is a sin and we should do everything in our power to not be prideful. That doesn't mean we are to belittle ourselves in order to rid us of our "pride".
 Another good point: 
"The very word pride seemed to become an outcast in our vocabulary...I believe there is a difference between being proud of certain things and being prideful. I am proud of many things. I am proud of my wife. I am proud of our children and grandchildren.
I am proud of the youth of the Church, and I rejoice in their goodness."
   Here's one that hit close to home: 
"For others, pride turns to envy: they look bitterly at those who have better positions, more talents, or greater possessions than they do. They seek to hurt, diminish, and tear down others in a misguided and unworthy attempt at self-elevation. When those they envy stumble or suffer, they secretly cheer."
Ouch. Really? Hm. Ok. Well, things need to change then. 
Just my thoughts for the morning. 
What's going on in your noggin this chilly morning?

3 comments:

  1. One of the best lessons I've ever had on pride is how we mostly think of it as a 'well to do' sin, but you can actually be prideful when poor and struggling (as in the "we're clearly more righteous because we don't have so many 'things' variety). I liked it because it caused me to view pride in a different light and see that we are all afflicted, in one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humility can be hard to come by when you are feeling envious or deprived. And often there is let down and low mood in January after the bustle and months-long build up to Christmas. Many folks experience it. Even those who are not freezing and poor and sick and surrounded by little people.

    Sometimes I change my low thoughts by noticing them and thinking or saying, "Stop!" And then, I look at myself kindly and ask what one little thing can I do right now to please me? A simple pleasure: a favorite tune, a 10-minute lie down, a yummy beverage, 15 minutes of looking at pretty pictures...a little something just for me.

    After I indulge in a little self-care I can look outside myself for the goodness and light that surrounds me. I see the world more kindly when I start by being kind to myself.

    And just because I am the Boss of Me, and you are not, I proclaim this "Be Kind to Maggie Week". Dangit!

    ReplyDelete