Monday, November 29, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me.

In the last 26 years I have:

  • created masterpieces with chalk on my Grandparents' chalkboard.
  • worn a hat and gloves for Easter- even when at college.
  • been homesick.
  • realized that "home" has a new meaning for each new phase of my life.
  • traveled to Italy, Germany which earned stamps in my passport that are barely visible and visited various states including a summer in North Carolina.
  • loved.
  • lost.
  • married my best friend.
  • birthed two sons that crack me up and have me at wits end sometimes.
  • learned to drive in the snow/ice.
  • made dioramas for school about space, native americans and literature.
  • slept aboard a clipper ship.
  • made a wind chime out of an AOL installation CD, washers, and dental floss.
  • "sled" down a hill on cafeteria trays.
  • sneaked goodies into the theater to avoid overpriced concession stands. (sneak? snuck? ge-snukken?)
  • bought goodies from overpriced concession stands with the explanation that I'm paying for convenience. 
  • found and lost many pairs of sunglasses.
  • bought my first car (we love you Nena). 
  • gone to college.
  • ditched class.
  • graduated. Obviously I didn't ditch all the time.
  • thrown great parties.
  • spaced Birthdays and important dates.
  • called loved ones for "no reason in particular".
  • been river rafting twice.
  • slept in the trunk of a car in the middle of a blizzard (seats folded forward of course).
  • gotten the truck stuck in a ditch.
  • learned to love the red rock of southern Utah.
  • not missed the smog.
  • seen a rattlesnake in the wild.
  • wished I hadn't.
  • seen a scorpion in my entryway.
  • killed him. 
  • done gagillions of loads of laundry.
  • curled my hair and my eyelashes.
  • gone to Walmart having done no curling what-so-ever or laundry.
  • hula-hooped in Walmart at 2am. 
  • won first place in 100 meter butterfly- once. In Hanford or Lemoore I think.
  • run cross country- mostly for the cute boys on the team. Certainly not for my skill. 
  • written short stories.
  • submitted an essay for publication. 
  • been rejected.
  • found my grandma in the college year book when I worked in Special Collections.
  • had pudding and candlelight ceremonies to mark the ending of an era and the beginning of a new one.
  • gotten upset over little things.
  • gotten over it.
  • planted a garden.
  • spent hours reading by candlelight in the tub. Not the best for the eyes- but good for the soul.
  • paid a regular "membership" fee to my local library.
  • gotten my books in on time once or twice.
  • shopped a good many thrift stores.
  • learned to roller skate in the garage. Which was helpful because I didn't know how to stop.
  • had super soaker wars.
  • been shot with a marshmallow gun by a neighbor.
  • played crazy games of Nerts.
  • attended bonfires and learned the fine art of roasted starbursts.
I have lived much. Loved much. and I continue to learn more and more. 
It's been a great 26 years. 
Here's to another quarter of a century plus some :)

7 comments:

  1. Awesome! When you write it out like that it makes it easier to see what you have accomplished (and makes it sound more interesting too). I love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your list you are so cute and we all love it! and you...exited to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Any chance you guys will be in Blanding around Christmas time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a phenomenal woman. Like Maya A. and then some! The best is yet to come, so I look forward to seeing your list 26 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Day my lovely!
    I hope someday you add to your list.
    - moved to sunny southern Utah!!!

    Hope your day was excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to you! I hope it was a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie i love your posts! You remind me to write down important/unimportant things so that i will still remember them tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration, and for being the best sister inlaw ever. (not because i only have one either)

    ReplyDelete