Thursday, February 4, 2010

Currently jazzed about....

Ya know what I love?  Crafting.  And by that right now I mean quilting.  I don't quilt in the traditional sense that I measure everything and have perfect anything-- but I like taking fabric, cutting it up, and sewing it back together in a new way.  Pretty cool.  Currently I'm working on a quilt for my niece, who is scheduled to make her apperance sometime in March (though I think due dates are ma-larkey...both of my boys were 4 weeks early) Hopefully this little girl isn't early so I'll have time to finish it.  I'm really excited about this one because I'm not doing what I've always done; namely- figure out a pattern then go to the store and get X amount of this material and X amount of that and make it just like the picture in my head.  Nope.  I'm wingin' it on this one and I'm rather enjoying seeing where it wants to go.  First off I'm using old clothes for the material (mostly) which means I'm reusing something that has already gotten use once (I feel good about that) AND I have access to fabrics of really cool textures that I wouldn't normally have thought of using.  I'm enjoying how this little project is going.  Now I'd better get sewing while the boys are asleep...(PS No pictures of it yet because I want it to at least be a little bit of a surprise as to what it looks like for Dani and Fielding)

Note: the picture at the top is the last blanket I made almost a year ago- for our baby #2 Landon-- I thought a picture would be nice for the blog- even if it's not what I'm currently working on.  

4 comments:

  1. Go you! I love quilting by the way. You may have inspired me!

    "mutht" That's must with a lisp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can't wait to see some pictures! Have I ever told you how much I love the blanket you made for McKinley? Well I love it! I use it all the time. I bought some fabric to make one for my sister that's having a baby in May but I still need to figure out the whole mitered corner thing. Looks like I'll need to do some web surfing. You gotta love the internet! Oh and I love the muffin tin idea. I've never heard of that before. I'll have to remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelli- I don't know how to "miter corners" but I'll see if I can find the pattern and send it to you. I don't explain it very well or I'd just show you... Maybe I'll try my hand a making a tutorial someday. Hm. I got the pattern at ACE Hardware though. If you buy fabric there just ask them for a receiving blanket pattern. For this particular pattern you have one square of fabric 40" and one 30". And the muffin tin idea actually came from http://michellesjournalcorner.blogspot.com/ there are some really cute things on her blog. Sorry I didn't link to it earlier.

    ReplyDelete