Monday, January 18, 2010

A day ON...not a day off.

In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.today has been designated to celebrate him and his birth and what he did with his life.  Please take a few minutes out of your day to read his speech "The Drum Major Instinct".  It is a great reminder of where we are and where we ought to be. 

King said that when he died "[he] just want to leave a committed life behind."  Which makes me think: What am I committed to?  Am I committed to having nice things or doing good things?  Do I speak up for morality or let someone else do it?  Am I trying to serve and love or am I trying to get ahead?

As the new year and new beginning has come I am reminded of all the unnecessary clutter in my life.  "Dustables" my brother calls them.  "Junk" to others.  The "One day I might need this" stuff that fills boxes and shelves and space in my life.  It's time to get rid of it.  Where to begin is my biggest fear.

So today will be a day spent de-junking my house and hopefully I'll find more time, room and energy to devote to the things that REALLY matter.  Thanks Dr. King for a day to remember the priorities of life.

1 comment:

  1. So I just checked my mail box today and got your letter. What a cute family you have, love that picture! Reading this post totally inspires me to declutter! I'm afraid in my "craft room" it contains a whole lot of stuff that I'm sure I'll use for one thing or another (yeah right!). I'm famous for buying things just because "it's only a dollar" and then I never do anything with it and it sits in my closet and becomes a "dustable" just as you said! Hopefully I will break that habit soon because I hate clutter!

    ReplyDelete