Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What do Christmas and 9-11 have in common?

So I've been thinking about Christmas Spirit lately. Appropriate seeing as we're a mere 9 days away at this point from the day of Christmas. When we celebrate Christ's birth. People who don't believe in Christ or that his birth was of great significance (or even real) still get into the spirit of the season. Santa encourages us to be nice and to think of others. I think the general good feelings that come during this time of year are due to the fact that more of us are thinking about Christ more often. Or at least more people are perhaps thinking more Christlike and thinking of others. Whichever the case may be, it's more pleasant to see the kindness. It's so easy to get caught up in the selfish gimmie gimmies of gifts. What I need- what I want. Me me me.

It makes me think of another time- NOT Christmas where I felt like there was perhaps a little more togetherness. Right after the attacks on the World Trade Center in New York on September 11th 2001 it felt like there were more people pulling together to help each other. People were scared and turned to God. People who had ignored him for years began to pray for themselves and for loved ones. Praying that there would be some way to get along- to make peace. And then time passed. Pain and fear lessened and we forgot. We forgot to look out for our neighbors and friends and strangers who could use a hand. At Christmas time we remember again for a little while. Maybe we should make every month have its own little Christmas. I know, as a church-going person myself, that we are supposed to do that at least weekly if not daily in our own lives. Easier said than done I find. I'm not talking about making New Year's resolutions to be better and give more and love more. If we put it off- it won't happen. Maybe today can be the day for change. A change of heart.

Whaddya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment