Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Eve

Per request made by Oma I am updating our blog. Evidently 11 days is far too big of a gap. I agree. I just hadn't gotten around to it until now. Thanks for the prompting. :)

Christmas this year was really nice. We stayed at home and had a quiet and mostly peaceful Christmas morning. I say mostly because when Ian figured out there was candy in everyone's stockings he thought it was ALL up for grabs. No go. I'm am a wee protective of my stocking candy- probably stemming back to the days of siblings and the need for bartering goods. I'll trade you this crunch bell for that peanut butter tree. How 'bout TWO crunch bells?

The festivities began on Christmas Eve when I made my first real Christmas Dinner. May I just say it is hard to cook a ham and rolls and grandma's macaroni salad (I really need to come up with a cool name for it because those outside my immediate family don't know what to expect from that) and mashed potatoes and gravy (after running out of time and space on the plates we decided to forego the green beans or carrots) and set a beautiful table--all for two adults, a two year old, and a 7 month old who sits far enough away from the table that he can't yank the table cloth. It's quite the to-do. I think perhaps with more people eating the food- the more it would be worth it. My favorite part of it all? The chocolate milk in wine glasses. Classy, I know. That was probably Ian's favorite part too, seeing as he wouldn't eat a thing I cooked. (We did manage to trick him into eating some rolls-mwahahaha!)

After our beautiful (if a bit stressed out on the cook's part) meal the boys had baths and got jammies on and then we read the Christmas story from Luke 2. Or tried. We were going to read it in German and English but that wasn't working. I think we got to baby Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes. So we switched to a picture book version. Unfortunately, that didn't go over much better. 50 time outs later (I don't remember how many- but it seemed like a lot--Ian refuses to STAY in time out now so he is forever getting his time restarted. Having said that it was probably only one or two actual time outs that took forever) we finished the story of Christ's birth. Nothing magical. No angels singing. Just relief to get it done. Then dash away, dash away, dash away all to bed. No dreams of Sugar Plum Fairies (what IS a sugar plum fairy anyway?) instead dreams of french toast and hot cocoa in the morning were dancing in our heads.

Side note: Ian LOVES wrapping presents! He would see the scraps of paper left from something I had wrapped earlier and beg to wrap a present. So we had him choose books he wanted us to read to him on Christmas to wrap up. Mom got Hippos go Bezerk, Dad got Captain Underpants and Landon got Max's New Suit. Pretty fun. We might just do that again next year. I kind of like unwrapping books. Ian also wrapped up a random little box I had put change in (so it rattled) and gave it to Landon. He was so excited to give it to him and show him how to unwrap it--but I'll save the rest of the Christmas day stories for tomorrow. Merry (belated) Christmas to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment