Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sweet November

Did anybody see that movie called Sweet November?  I'm probably one of the ten people who saw it.  Keanu Reeves and Charlize Theron.  Sappy love story that made me cry.  That is the movie that made me love the name Abner.  He's the next door neighbor kid. Too cute.  Don't worry.  Sean would never agree to it for a name for one of our kids.  A character in a story I will someday write will have that name. 

But that isn't really what I was going to post about.  I was just posting about November.  It has a soft place in my heart because it is my birth month.  (Doesn't everyone feel that way the whole month of their birthday?) But really I like the focus on gratitude and being thankful.  It seems that this time of year (especially for those in school) becomes crunch time.  Things are hurried.  Projects and papers and book reports (oh my!).  Everyone is feeling the pressure to perform and get the grades and the gifts for Christmas (really? already? better hurry and find the perfect gift that says I was thinking about you but I didn't want to shell out loads of cash) and this and that.  It's nice to have a holiday dedicated to slowing down a bit (thanks to the tryptophan from the turkey) and remembering what it is that we are thankful for.  I don't think we do enough of that at any time of the year.  There's plenty of stuff to grumble about (snow, cold, mud, getting sick the list goes on from there) but there ARE things I am grateful for.


I am thankful for the taste of warm apple cider (not as hot as Sean likes it).  How it warms your whole insides as you feel the first of it trickle down your throat.  Mmmm.

I am thankful for the smells of autumn.  I just realised that I'm not allergic to the smells of autumn- which is probably why I enjoy them a bit more.  Dry  leaves (wet ones not so much).  Cider.  Pumpkin.  Crisp night air.  Cinnamon.  Warm baked goods.

I am thankful for a time set aside to be reminded of my blessings--for I have many.

I am thankful for time to visit with family and friends.  Wish we could do it more often.  I usually get surprise calls from old friends (friends from the past not who are old themselves) and I love it.

I am thankful for people who will read this blog (yes that means you) and will take a minute to think about something they are thankful for today.

Ahh. Thank you Sweet November.

1 comment:

  1. hey- i was the seventh person who saw that movie! cheesy and sad, hehe. i'm with you on the november love...birthday months rock!

    ReplyDelete