Saturday, October 31, 2009

What a Holiday...

Well today was definitely different than any other Halloween we've ever had.  I'm crossing my fingers (and will plan a little better hopefully) that next year wil go a little better.

Started out the day with a 5k.  My first.  Ever.  (Thanks by the way to Dani and Fielding who graciously watched our boys while we ran. Very much appreciated.)  Couldn't find the camera in time so no pictures.  Sorry.  We have some before photos on our phones but those don't upload.  (We're old school and don't have internet on our phones.)  It was a small fun run- about 30 participants.  Which I didn't mind.  Not so overwhelming.  A 5k is 3.1 miles.  Somehow I got it in my mind that a 5k was only 2 1/2 miles.  I never bothered to look it up.  So that's what I "trained" for.  In my mind at least.  I didn't find out it was 3 until Sean told me when we were running.  I'm sure he mentioned it before--perhaps that one got logged in a temporary folder in my mind.  Oh well.  I survived.  Had a great running partner. (The BEST) Now I can cross that off my bucket list.  I have not run that distance since cross country practice in 7th grade...12 years ago.  Good grief.  I'm glad it's over.  I'm glad I did it.  But I will not do that again any time soon.  And not in the winter.  IF I ever do one again it will be during summer so I have better prep time.  We got 45:50 as our official time.  Not great.  Not even good by a traditional runner's standard--but I am no traditional runner.  I did what I set out to do and that feels good.  Even if my joints don't.  (Thank goodness for Ibuprofen!)  So that was our morning.

Then we went and picked up the boys from Aunt Dani & Uncle Fielding's house.   They seemed to have a good time.  Landon was hungry by the time we got there so I nursed him.  Then we headed home to clean up.  We runners needed to clean up as well as our house needed a bit of sprucing.  You see we were having people over to play How to Host a Murder for lunch.  Called my Mom to tell her the news: I survived and it's over!  Shortly after I hung up the phone Landon puked.  I thought maybe it was just because I hadn't burped him well enough.  Then he puked some more.  Car seat: Soaked.  Landon:  Pretty gross and not looking so hot.  So Lando got dibs on the bathtub.  Cleaned him up, put him in his swing.  He puked again.  Just bile this time.  That really gets to me.  It's one thing when there's substance but bile just means the poor kid is hurting for nothing.  It's terrible.  Called the doctor (they have weekend clinics- thank heavens).  They said try pedialyte for a while.  While I went to the store to get some Fielding came over to help give Landon a blessing.  He hasn't been this sick since he was in the NICU.  Gave him some pedialyte.  He kept it down.  Went to the doctor.  He was feeling a bit better by then (Isn't that how it ALWAYS works?).  But it helped alleviate my fears.  Lungs sound great.  He looks good.  He's keeping the pedialyte down and since then I have nursed him.  Things are looking up.  Keep him and us in your prayers as one can never tell how these things are going to go.

So we didn't Host a Murder tonight.  Kinda bummed about that.  We'll do it another time.  Also didn't go to the ward Trunk or Treat.  Didn't bother making Ian dress up (he doesn't really like to most of the time).  So we were very bah humbug this year.  It felt weird.  Very weird.  We passed out candy to the few trick-or-treaters we had and watched Ladyhawke.  (Good cheesy 80's movie)  Maybe next year I'll have some good costumes on hand for last minute things like this.  We'll see.

In other news: My birthday is in 28 days (4 weeks).  Quarter of a century.  "Old" according to Mike's standards... remember a few years ago when you turned old Mike??  Just thought I'd mention it.  Presents and money are welcome.  Notice the AND.

Happy Halloween Everybody.

1 comment:

  1. Good job on the 5k! I'm afraid I've been very lazy ever since McKinley was born. Maybe I'll have to go dust off the old treadmill! Poor little Landon, I hope he's feeling better and that Halloween is a little more fun for you next year!

    ReplyDelete