Friday, September 18, 2009

Daily Personal Philosophy

Howard Thurman, an American philosopher and civil rights advocate, said, "Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

I came across this quote on my cousins blog (she has a few I don't know which one or I'd direct you there). It has started me thinking: What makes ME come alive? Mrs. V, one of my high school English teachers would appreciate this (Right Christie?). She would always ask us "What is your BLISS?" Which is essentially the same idea. Funny how over the years it's easy to forget what my bliss is, my passion, what makes me come alive. Everyday humdrum business seems to shove itself into the forefront rather quickly. So that's my quest. To find what makes me come alive- and do it. Simple enough.

Just our of curiosity: What drives you? What makes YOU come alive? Post your bliss as a comment or email me hurst_maggie@yahoo.com (A dear friend of mine actually asked Sean this the first time she met him to see if he could pass the test and marry me) He passed. His answer at the time--Nature. Wonder if it has changed. Passions can do that you know, change. That's why we have to check in with ourselves now and again.

2 comments:

  1. PS I don't know what the little box is but I can't get rid of it- I tried. I also tried finding a good picture for the blog but I can't access the ones I want from Cedar Mountain- they're on the big (broken) computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good question. I have actually thought a lot about it lately and, to be honest, I'm not sure right now. I dragged my family, including a brand new baby, into a whole new state to chase a dream I've had forever and still I often wonder if we've done the right thing. It was nice, in Blanding, to get home at 4 p.m. and head for the mountains, which we did all the time. But I also am enjoying the challenge of learning and the knowledge itself. I just wish it wasn't so hard on my family... Probably my best answer right now is little McKay's big smile!

    ReplyDelete