Monday, September 28, 2009

Am I too busy?

So this morning for my personal study I was reading an article in the Ensign that for some reason I have been avoiding.  I was surprisingly touched by the message presented though and thought I'd share some thoughts and feelings on the blog.  It was Elder Erich W. Kopischke's article "This is our Religion, to save souls".  That sounded a bit more than I wanted to do right now, which is why I've been putting off reading it.  It's not about preaching the gospel or converting people, not directly anyway.  What I got out of it is that, as followers of Christ and as members of the human race, we are to lift one another, be good friends and ACT on the promptings we receive.  Acting on promptings has been on my mind a lot lately because I do feel like I get these crazy ideas that come seemingly from nowhere but when I just follow it, later I see that they were promptings not just my other personalities talking to me :)  I have been so touched and blessed by others who have acted on the promptings they have received regarding me and my family.  I want to do that for someone else.  One quote I liked is this, "If we are too busy to reach out to someone in need, then we are too busy."  Obviously we are all busy.  We have lives and things that need to get done.  But it's the little things that we can do but don't do because we're "too busy".  I was able to write an email to a friend.  It took maybe 5 or 10 minutes of my "busy" day.  It wasn't much but the thought just kept hounding me to do it.  So I did.  I don't know what will come of that little email I sent but maybe she needed it.  So basically what I'm trying to say (and bumbling about it) is that I want to act more on those little thoughts.  Put a card in the mail or leave a voicemail on someone's phone that will cheer someone up.  I don't want to be too busy that I only think of myself.  I don't want to get so caught up in thinking of others that I neglect myself and my family either.  I guess that is part of this life, to find the balace.  But it got me thinking... am I too busy? This is the Ensign article.

2 comments:

  1. Maggie, I'm glad you posted this, it's just the kick in the pants I needed. Maybe I'll actually do my visiting teaching for once, there's still three days left right? By the way, I can't believe Landon is that big, he weighs more than twice as much as McKinley! What a cute little man! One day McKinley will grow. At least now she graduated to newborn size clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great thoughts, i've been thinking about that too, i will go read the article asap! your boys are cutie patooties. :D

    ReplyDelete