Saturday, August 15, 2009

Spiders

So, a while ago our elder's quorum helped a guy some junk from his yard. it is an elder couple, who probably haven't done anything with their yard in years. Shortly into the job, we all went and got some heavy gloves because of the arachnids we saw roaming the trash we were hauling off. One item in particular was especially infested with the largest wolf spiders I have ever seen. I was able to kill most of them, but one in particular may have gotten away. Since I have a pickup, we loaded it all in for the trip to the dump; however, it was evening and the dump was closed, so I took it home.

That night I did some research into prices at the dump and the tractor tire we picked up was going to run us $100 on it's own. I would get reimbursed, but between that and the other tires it was going to be a $160 dollar trip, over half the elder's quorum budget. So, I talked to the elder's quorum president, who talked to the bishop to decide what to do. In the mean time, the spiders stayed.

Well, last Friday, Maggie saw a huge spider by the fridge. I took a look, and it was the same kind and the same approximate size as the one from the trash couch (since taken to the dump). I tried to kill it with a broom and though I didn't see it get away, there were no spider remains to be found. He had survived. The next few days were a little uncomfortable (especially when I walked through the kitchen barefoot at night to get Landon for his nightly feedings). Slowly, I settled into the normal feelings and only occasionaly thought of the arachnic monster living in our house.

Well, Thursday morning Maggie found it again, in our kitchen sink among a pile of dirty dishes. Luckily, it had drown in a bowl full of water. In the water, dead, it didn't look as big, but after fishing it out, I am fairly certain of its identity. It got it's just dues.

It wasn't until afterwords I got thinking. In the last while we have had next to no bugs and no earwigs or ants (both of which we had been suffering from for at least a month). We had also seen no other spiders. Also, this morning when I went down to do laundry I looked for the customary webs along the stairs and found none. The one spider had done a good job at keeping our house fairly free of other creepy crawlies.

So, I'm thinking about catching another one and introducing him to the prime hunting grounds that is our house. Then again, maybe not.

5 comments:

  1. Christina would have died, just from the site of the thing. Then she would have come back to life, killed me, then died again. And if I was even to suggest keeping such a think around the house... I can't think of a punishment horrible enough. Of course, she bought a whole can of caulk to fill every hole within a hundred miles of the "nursery" in our last house... just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha well serves you right for leaving dishes in the sink.... j/k but that is interesting. Glad you were bug free for a few days at least. love you hope the birthday party is lots of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate spiders! By the way, I'm pretty sure that one was a hobo, so I wouldn't get too excited about introducing them back into the environment. :) Hopefully I'm wrong, but from the looks of the picture it just might be. Now you're way excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeewwwww...shoulda saved that scary story for Halloween. Glad nobody got any spider bites. Oma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a bad idea! I always hesitate to kill those cool jumping spiders.

    (No, it's not because I am afraid they will jump on me!! Not entirely.)

    ReplyDelete