Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Drill Weekend

Normally, I don't have very much to tell after a drill weekend (although Maggie might tell you otherwise), but this time I do. I have been in the guard since 2001 and never have I had such an awesome drill weekend. We had Blackhawks. When I saw them on movies, or flying around they didn't seem all that impressive. The story changes when inside them. It was an amazing experience. They had the doors open as we flew around and the only thing holding me in was the seatbelt. I did feel for the new guy (can't remember his name), who probably thinks all drills are going to be like that. He is going to be sorely disappointed. SSG Walker is going to try to get them again next year, but I won't be in the unit then, so it won't affect me.
I got home Sunday night about 10:15 or so and my beautiful wife was waiting for me. What I didn't expect was that Ian was awake, because he went to bed at 8:30. He had just eaten, so Maggie let him stay up to see me. I had been gone only 67 hours, but it was amazing how much he had already changed. Ian was taller and looked more like a little boy than ever. They sure change quickly.

1 comment:

  1. So post new pictures lol. I am excited to see him and everyone else next week. Kaden is changing so fast as well!! he is getting to be such a big boy!
    I wish I could have been there for the black hawks we got to ride one breifly in AIT but we were strapped to a strecher and the doors were closed.
    Good to hear you had so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete